Sunday, June 21, 2009

This weekend was our community's annual festival to celebrate the bridge that joins our two communities. Being a small town, we have parades, lobster dinner (we are in the midwest, a lobster dinner is a treat), activities, etc. We also have fireworks.

We've never been down to the activities, but last year we took the girls to the fireworks for the first time. Hopefully next year we will be able to do some of the activities. I would have this year, but between the garage sale I was involved with (and will do again next year) and Sarah's ball game which was from 2-4, we just didn't make it. Then again, it's not DH's thing.

Last year, we started to take the girls to the fireworks. This is a bit of a big deal because we don't have sunset until 10:30. They loved it last year, so DH wanted to take them again this year. We sent them to bed for a nap at normal bedtime (and S2 pissed DH off when she wouldn't go to sleep) and got them up about 10:15 so we would have time to drive to a friends house, feed her cats, set up their hammock and wait for it to be dark enough. The first fireworks started at 10:45. The girls had an absolute blast!

Earlier this week, my friend Sandy and her family came to visit us for a day. They live in Virginia. Sandy and I have been friends since I was 16 and she was 17. I remember when her kids were born and she and her daughter came to see me in the hospital when S1 was born. I've not seen them since we moved from VA exactly 9 years ago this month.

Man it was good to see them. We had such a nice relaxing day. They were were camping up on a campground on Lake Superior. The came in on Wed night and I headed up to see them while we watched the sun set. Thursday, we picked up some breakfast and headed back up to the lake. The kids (my two and her two teenagers), played on the beach together for several hours before we made them take a break for lunch. Then, I drove Sandy and the kids down to see our house. The girls and J (who is 14) started playing Wii and K (who has me unsettled a bit because she's 17 and I can't believe we were so young when we met) wanted to go back to the camp to take a nap. So, J stayed at our house and played with the girls while I drove people back. I then made some dinner and we got S1 ready for her baseball game (which everyone came out to watch). It started to rain and we called the game at 2 hours and 20 min (this was a game that started at 7:15 and ended at 9:35 when the kids were too tired to get an out. I adore our coach, he calls it when its time and doesn't have to 'play to the end.') So, we ran back, got changed, picked up my DH and went back to camp for dinner and s'mores. It was a very long day and the girls didn't get to bed until midnight, but boy was it a great day. I'm sorry they couldn't stay longer, but it was a fabulous time.

1 comment:

Fantastagirl said...

So glad you were able to see them and have fun! And not getting to bed until midnight is always a fun thing!