Sunday, April 19, 2009

The impromptu trip - but not one I wish I was taking

Yesterday morning, my Uncle David died. He was just the sweetest guy. I adore his family. Aunt Jean (his wife) is my FILs sister. She found love later in life, not marrying until she was around 40. Elly, their daughter, was a little unexpected but provided quite the spirited life for Jean and David.

David was very sick but was trying to hold on until Elly left for college this fall. Elly is a senior in high school this year. He was just too weak and tired to hold on any longer. He made it to his 73rd birthday last weekend.

The girls and I will drive to minnesota tomorrow for Tuesday's funeral. I wasn't sure if I was going to bring them, but Sarah really wanted to come. She wants to help make Elly feel better. This child of mine is such a sweet soul.

Sydney, well, she just wants to be where I am.

So, we'll hop in the car, drive LOTSSSS of hours and be there for our family. I'm thinking about coming through Minneapolis on the drive home and stopping by the American Girl store. It only adds another hour of driving time to make that little detour. I'm thinking we will stay in Minneapolis on Tues night to take a couple of hours off the driving time on Wednesday. The hours are long, but when adding bathroom stops for three girls - yea, another hour or two.

I'm just glad I have the flexibility in my life that I can do this. I wish it wasn't the last week in the semester so Joe could come too. Aunt Jean is very special to Joe.

2 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Sorry to hear about your Uncle Joe. Hope you have safe travels.

Army of Mom said...

My condolences. Have a safe journey. If you go to the Mall of America, wear comfortable shoes. The kids will love it.

Best wishes for the trip.