Monday, April 27, 2009

week in review.

This week has been a bit insane.

As you may remember, DH's Uncle David died last weekend. The girls and I decided to drive out for the funeral. Uncle David was was the darling husband of DH's Aunt Jean (my FILs sister). For me, I've always known Uncle David with Aunt Jean. Melanie might be able to help me with dates more, but I believe Jean and David met in Jean's late 30s. Their only daughter Elly was born when Jean was 40(?) David really wanted to hang on long enough to see Elly leave for college, then graduate from high school. He didn't quite make it. This make me sad.

The funeral was very nice. It was almost enjoyable. There were 3 different officiants contributing to the service - people who really knew and respected David. They told stories from people who really knew him. The music was so very David - cowboy and celtic. I discovered that it was very hard to cry and be sad listening to Cowboy songs. I want Cowboy music played at mine.

David's daughter from his first marriage was there (so was his son). His daughter brought her two boys - A and C. I've been hearing about them for years since Sarah and A are only 6 mos apart. We've not met them before. Sarah and A hit it off amazingly well and they can't wait to get together again. C is a little younger than Sydney. Life was so much easier having playmates for the girls.

The girls were really good on the trip. On the drive home, we detoured slightly and stopped at the Mall of America. We only had one stop. The girls didn't know we were going until we pulled into the parking lot and I suggested they take their dolls with them. The girls had a budget they could spend. Sarah started getting her doll's hair done, but then noticed that they would pierce ears at the store. So, she walked out with her dolls ears pieced. We also found out that her dolls eyelash problem is a manufacture defect and if we send her to the doll hospital, they will repair it for us. She just needs to be away from the house for 4 weeks.

And, the massage was really, really good!!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I think you are about right with the David/Jean time line. I was in college in Marshall when they were dating. I lived with Jean one summer and basically had the apartment to my self becuase she was in Iowa all the time. They had a beautiful October wedding.