Sunday, September 02, 2007

Just what is the right answer?? and other musings

Today, I need to finish my syllabus. I'm trying to incorporate a new book. We can either read it in its entirety or in three parts. The book discusses aspects of political, religious, and corporate organizations - the three my course covers.

Both have some merit. I think later today I may take my white board markers and go to the library to figure out how to best use the book.

I think I've modified my first assignment so it's clear enough. I've changed the due dates for the papers. The first paper was written more slowly so they had time to learn how to approach it better, but the students didn't really use the time and then the end of the semester ended up cramped. We also ended up with them revising a paper over Thanksgiving break. Worse, the presentations were just after Thanksgiving and with the paper due the class or so before, they just felt rushed to complete the presentations.

I've made a few other changes in the class this year. It used to be that they were able to re-write all three papers. This year they can only re-write the first two. I think it will make life easier on me. I still don't like my third paper assignment - I need to find a new assignment for this year. The students just don't get it. I've decided that they need a bit more of an explanation about the papers when the first one is returned. I've decided that in order to get their paper back, they need to make an appointment with me so we can review it. The first assignment grades tend to be very low and the students seem to get very discouraged. Most of the reason they are low is that they didn't address components of the paper. For some reason, they can't seem to understand that if they are scored a 2 out of 5 for answering a item on the rubric (for example "compare and contrast points A and B") that means their grade was lower not because they are bad writers, but because they didn't answer the question. When they revise the paper, they end up changing three words on the section they answered, but they never do the compare contrast. Maybe if I meet with them first, they will do better.

I also am trying to find a way to discuss the paper assignment and what kind of information I'm looking for without giving away the assignment or having them just create papers that are all identical and only include ideas discussed in class. I need to think about this a bit.

Sarah still loves her haircut. Yesterday, she climbed on the roof of our house. During one of the storms, part of a tree blew onto the house and hasn't come down in any of the rain storms, etc. I asked DH if we could get it off the roof. He decided the best way was to put Sarah on the roof and have her take it down. This meant she went on the roof from the back, walked to the front of the house and took down the tree, and walked back to the back of the house. I covered by eyes. Sarah thought it was great. (ok, I've been on the roof to clear snow and I knew it was easy to walk on since it wasn't too steep of a slope.

I did find a walking foot to fit my machine! I just need to finish my prep work for class and clean the house and I can go back to sewing! I can't wait to see how it works on my shade.

On to other things.

1 comment:

Me said...

eh eh... you said merit. :)