Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I wish I had thought of that. . .

Oh wait, I did.

Two years ago, I suggested making an internal change that would better allow us to manage the students we pay from the grant I work on, but it was rejected because our director of research didn't understand what I was saying.

So this summer, I convinced her that we should make the change and she agreed. But, then my surgery hit and I didn't get the paperwork done for a couple of months. By then she changed her mind and decided to do an offline approval. So, we are now having issues with setting the students up for their spring and summer payroll because the timing of the index.

So, after telling one person what the plan was this fall, I get an email saying "no, you should fill out a time extension form." I explained that I tried that and it was rejected and this was the agreed on plan. The next email said "but, all we have to do is this and it would make so much more sense to do an internal change." I explained that Yes, I agree but it was already rejected. I was willing to submit the paperwork again, but not until I had an assurance that it would be accepted since the director changed her mind this fall.

So, I get an email from the director saying that we should do the time extension, but only until spring because by then we should have the funding in house.

I had to explain that if we do the extension, we should do it though summer because the students are on a 12 month appointment and if we do it until spring, that means the staff will need to put the students into the system 3 times this year instead of twice (and I had been working on a one-time entry that was rejected). - I'm still waiting for a response on the spring versus summer extension.I really wish I had thought of extending the time. . . .because their way is so much easier then the way we've been doing it for the past four years.

No comments: