Thursday, December 06, 2007

I had the best class tonight. . .

This is the 4th semester I have taught this class. This was the first time I've ever taught anything more than a 1/2 day seminar, each semester I learn new ways to present thing, new ideas of how to communicate.

I teach introverts. They are college freshman. They have little experience and interest in things like politics, religion, and business. The topic of the course I teach is Organizational Cultures and how organizations change. Most of the concepts I teach are things they have little experience or understanding of. The basis of my class was the things I wish I had understood when I first started working. I've told them on several occasions that what we are discussing are things that will make more sense to them in 10 years.

Tuesday, I had a brainstorm and realized that the best way to discuss the book they were reading was to have the students break down the concepts I had introduced to them and have them tell me how they applied to the company we were discussing. It really seemed to make a difference. Next week we do an exercises that I created my first semester when I was really pissed at my class. The last week of class, when all the papers are written, when all the books are read, when all the assignments are done - the students pick topics and they lead the discussion. I created it when I got tired of trying to force the students to talk to me and I wanted them to understand what it's like to be on the other side.

A funny thing happened on the way to the lesson - they really enjoyed it. So, I did it again with the next class and they loved it too. It's kind of nice because they have a purpose the last week that is a bit low key - and we get to be done with the intense stuff.

In today's class we were wrapping up the semester. I've never found a way to get everything wrapped up so it all connected. In a moment of brilliance (and that is only because it worked), I decided to try having them tell me what they learned. They really did start to get the connection - how it related - and really seemed proud of themselves for getting it. It was wonderful.

Now, if only their papers are as good as the conversation tonight.

2 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

too bad the grades have to be given to the papers - when they probably didn't get it - until the class... know what I mean?

Kelly said...

Brilliant! Was that the last class? If so, I love that it ended on a good discussion!