Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vanity or health

As some of you know, my dear friend Kelly from Jennelle's Journey on my list is back in the hospital for round 2 of Chemo.

A couple of years ago, I decided to grow my hair out with the intention of donating it. Prior to this, I didn't know about certain restrictions on hair coloring. But, I knew that donated hair was used for many things so I decided to go forth with my plan. Well, a few months ago, my hair was finally long enough, but after spending so much time I wasn't ready to cut it. A few weeks ago, I decided that I had no style left in my hair, it was long enough, and my friend Kelly has lost her hair even though she has no choice about it. Maybe it was time to cut and donate it.

I spent weeks trying to decide if I should be selfish and keep my hair, or join her husband and son and cut it off. I finally decided to cut it back two inches and keep growing it. Part was a selfish desire to keep my hair. Part of it was the knowledge that if I cut the ratty ends and some of the strongest parts of color - what I donate will be better than what I could donate now.

Part of me was glad I decided to keep it when my dh told me I was - well, let's just say that he likes it long. I'll save my SIL's eyes from seeing her brother's words.

I still feel a bit guilty that I couldn't bring myself to cut it now, even though I know it was for a good reason.

HUGS Kelly. I promise I will donate as soon as I can donate healthy, lovely hair for people who need it.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks, I appreciate that :) I'd love to see a picture of you with your long hair.

Fantastagirl said...

My older sisters and Tink donated their hair December of 2007. Each cutting 10 or more inches off. I don't have healthy hair, so I didn't
do it.

I don't think you were selfish - I think cutting the 2 inches off, to have healthier hair was a good choice, when you are ready to donate it will be healthier!

Kelly said...

Wait until Summer - short hair is cold at night! ;) I tried on wigs for the first time on Tuesday, and found that I really liked the synthetic wigs better anyway! ;)

So, where's a photo?

Spikey1 said...

My nephews both grew their hair for the purpose of donating it and it was very special.

Spikey fact... I used to have shoulder length hair (albeit in my younger years) and once I cut it off, I have had buzzed hair ever since. Sorry I have nothing to donate Kelly ;)