Sunday, February 15, 2009

The party cake

In some ways, parties are getting a little easier. The kids just played in the pool - we set up the food, watched to make sure no-one drowned, and corraled them later for cake and presents. We had a few no-shows, but just sent their bags home with a couple of kids with siblings.

Everyone had fun, and I'm really pleased with Sarah's cake. I made this myself. I used a metal bowl for the top, licorice for the eyes, and fondant for the spots.

If I were ever to attempt this again (or another tiered cake), I'd do a few things differently. But, all in all I'm pleased.

I give you the Mario Bros "1-up" cake (and for those of you not involved in playing Mario Bros (which would have been us at Christmas), the 1-up is the character that gives you extra lives

1 comment:

Fantastagirl said...

That is an awesome cake! Gotta love the easier party. Went to my nephews' birthday party this weekend - (one is 11, and the other 9). Pretty easy going this year - just at their home, and the kids just played, and played and played... loved it!