Friday, February 20, 2009

Generally ramblings

Things have been pretty quiet this week. Monday was a bit insane while I tried to desperately gather all the marketing materials I was in the middle of developing before she left for Puerto Rico. It was a bit crazy because in the middle of it, I got a phone call that Sydney wasn't feeling well and needed me to pick her up. It really wasn't anything and soon she was feeling better and wanted my attention.

But, since I was working so hard on the stuff for work, DH and I both getting sick, and the things for birthday parties, the house (which has been so nicely cleaned up before Syd's party) was a bit trashed. So, I've spent this week getting the house picked up AND playing on my Wii Fit.

I'm watching one of my favorite West Wing episodes. It's something that bothered me during this past election and is something I might have the class watch and discuss this next semester. It deals with a democratic convention where there are three viable candidates --

(although I hate the camera angles where they spend the entire time with cameras doing a 360 spin around the room - it' makes me dizzy)

-- this past summer, there was a lot of pressure for Hillary Clinton to step aside for the 'good of the party' so that when we arrive at the convention, we have 'party unity.' I always wondered why we needed to have party unity prior to the convention. What was the point of having a convention where we stand up in the first minute of the convention and say "oh, by the way we only have one candidate left, so we don't need to vote. But, since you are all here, let's spend millions of dollars and 5 nights listening to speeches from the people who might be contenders in the future.

Why do we need to pressure our candidates to drop out of the race mid-primary so the 'heir apparent' doesn't have competition. I guess this way the politicians get to decided who are candidates are, not the public.

This episode covers the issue so nicely.

But, I need to get back to cleaning and I'm going to re-caulk the shower stall this weekend, so I need to remove the old caulk.

And, this weekend I need to create two lists of school in wisconsin and minnesota that I would potentially visit, the cost to visit these school, and then chat with my boss and department chair next week to decide which loop I should take first.

No comments: