Thursday, May 17, 2007

My Trip - and the best museum I've seen

The trip to Baton Rouge went pretty well. We left the hotel wondering who would be there and how this would work. They knew who was coming from our group, but we had no idea who was going to be attending from their group.

We arrived at Southern University's campus to find that everyone was there, the meetings went well, we resolved ALOT of issues. And we finished earlier than I expected. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it was because my boss didn't come. Lunch on Monday was a traditional red beans and rice. I LOVED it. It was so wonderful.

So, the next day, we had nothing to do until noon when we needed to be at campus for lunch.

The group decided to visit a plantation. I was along for the ride. I grew up in Southern Maryland - spent many hours at Mount Vernon, Monticello, various plantations in South Carolina. I must admit, I'm plantationed out.

But, I will admit that this plantation tour was fun. It was one of the few times that rooms weren't roped off and you actually got to see the upstairs.

After lunch, we went to visit the museum on campus. I will admit, if you are ever in Baton Rouge, you should make time to visit this. They have an amazing collection of African and African American art. I wish we had been able to spend more time there. It was amazing. They had this 12 foot tall solid mahogany statue of an African woman.

Some of their items are on loan. The curator told us about when Steve Harvey (the actor) and his wife loaned them some times. She was waiting for the 3 or 4 pieces she was expecting. Three TRUCK loads arrived. Some of them are out, many are in storage. I loved this place!

No comments: