Sunday, May 20, 2007

Parent vs. Kid

For the past few weeks, my older daughter (7) has been really mouthy. In the past few days conversations have gone like this:

(now, she was home sick for 7 days and had cabin fever at the end. She's also a bit tired from her illness.)

You need to sit up at the dinner table, if you don't sit up and use your manners we will take your chair away and you can stand, ok, stand up please, well, if you don't like standing make sure you use your manners tomorrow, stand still, stop dancing, stop marching, if you keep marching you will go to bed for the rest of the night (ok, it was only about 45 min before we usually put on jammies) - she started marching back and forth looking at us with a smirk, go to your room.

Keep your shoes on, stop running in the store, keep walking with me (she kicks her shoe in the air), ok if you can't use your shoes properly you can't wear them, your shoes are not soccer balls stop kicking them, now I'll keep them for two days.

In the past 36 hours she has been removed from the grocery store, lost bedtime shows for lying, lost 4 items from her room for actions while cleaning, lost her chair at dinner, sent to bed early, lost her shoes for 3 days.

I'm at a loss. The best I can do is keep threatening and following through until I find the thing that will motivate her to stop being a pain. It's just so hard. I hate being mom sometimes.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm laughing - it must be something in the air as Jack was a pest this weekend as well!

Fantastagirl said...

I think it's spring fever.

Good luck you will find something that drives home your point.