Saturday, August 23, 2008

When things go south, they go badly

Last night, the girls had ice skating. Today was test day. Sarah was pumped because she was starting to really get the skills. Then, her buddy passed the skills test and she didn't. OH Boy the tears. Her friend was so sweet, she was ready to give her skating patch back so she and Sarah would not have passed yet. Sarah is so close, she just needs to master two things. Thankfully Sydney didn't pass her skills either.

So, then we went to the fair to see how Sarah, DH and I did on our entries. Sarah entered some poems (Cinquians she wrote about the grandparents), her alien sculpture, the ceramic tile, and a skirt she painted (which I knew wasn't her best work, but I could NOT convince her that she would have an easier time decorating a T-shirt and not a skirt).

Sydney entered a skirt she painted (we replaced the one she did with Sarah with one she did earlier that was nicer), a ceramic tile, and her princess in a pool sculpture. She was suppose to be entered in the 5-6 y.o. mini exhibitor who were not judged, but got participation ribbons.

DH entered the mantle clock he made me for Christmas and I entered four photos.

First we checked out DH's clock and one of my pics. DH got blue ribbon, best of show, and the Adult Gold which makes him eligible to send it to the state fair. My one pic took 6th, prize through 8th.

Then we went to see Sarah's. He poems got 2nd, everything was good. Her sculpture third, still happy. Then we saw Sydney's tile in the entries with a 2nd place ribbon. Yep, someone put Syd's entries in the judging area. Her three entries bested Sarah by one place. Sydney got three 2nd place ribbons and Sarah got three 3rds and the 2nd for the only thing Sydney didn't also enter. And, to add insult to injury, they ran out of third place ribbons and one of hers only had a note.

Sarah was devastated.

I'm seriously thinking about telling DH that we should sign Sarah up for skating for the session that starts Sept 4th. We usually wait until after Soccer, but she's not doing dance this fall and I think if I can get her back on the ice quickly rather than in Nov she'll remember what she's been working on and will pass quickly. I'm afraid if we give her time, she'll backslide.

I guess at some point we have to find out how they made the mistake with Sydney. We need to make sure it's not made next year. If we had know that Sydney would have been judged, we would not have let them enter so many things in the same category. I hope today is a better day.

As for me, my other photos got two 3rds and a participation ribbon. I was pretty impressed because in some of the photography stuff, there are a ton of pictures entered. But, my heart breaks for Sarah.

Thankfully, she enjoyed the rides and games.

*le sigh*

3 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Congrats on jobs well done! I feel so bad for her - it's awful when the younger sister does better, especially after the skating.

Army of Mom said...

Oh, those are rough times when one kid fares better than the other. I love it when the kids are all in different sports/activities. The only one we tend to overlap is karate ... and God help us ... all three will be doing it this fall. I think I need to go light a candle at church. :)

But, sounds like they did well otherwise. :)

Melanie said...

Congratulations to everyone for a fine showing.