Thursday, September 04, 2008

I'm a geek, and now they know it.

In class tonight, we were talking about race, sex, and politics. In the course of the conversation, I mentioned that one Saturday, someone posted a comment on a bulletin board I read. My first though was "that didn't sound right."

So, I looked up the race and sex makeup of the house of representatives, the senate, and the sitting governors. Then I compared it to the race and sex makeup of the population of the United States.

My students just looked at me, and one was even shaking his head at me. Yep, I'm a geek, and now they know it.

The bonus was I gave them some insight about what I'm looking for in their paper assignments, and that if I can do this type of analysis on a Saturday because of an offhand comment, they can do it for a grade.

No comments: