Monday, December 11, 2006

Of Mom and teacher

I struggle alot with trying to get everything done sometimes. Because I work part time as staff, I can't do grading as part of my "job." This means that grading is done on my own time.

I try my best to keep up with grading, but sometimes I just go into avoidance and read a book. This weekend, I found myself dealing with sick kids. I've had kids underfoot since Friday. They didn't get sick until Sunday, but I spent Friday and Saturday dealing with the kids and not my grading.

I fear how this will affect my teaching evals. After all, the kids deserve their work back so they can understand what needs to be done for future assignments. This semester, I never got my rythm. When your semester starts as you arrive in class the first night with a fever of 103 and pneumonia, somehow it just never gets better.

Now I'm just feeling overwhelmed.

I can't tell my students this because I don't accept excuses from them.

So, I have to juggle staying at home with a sick kid, a report that needs to be finished for work, grading that needs to be done, Christmas that needs tending, and a house that is suffering from the end of the semester "I'm too busy."

So, I'm working at trying to be a good mom, a good teacher, a good employee - but not feeling as I'm succeeding at any of it.

Yesterday at church, I was asked if I'd consider serving on the vestry. One problem with belonging to a smaller church is that it's harder to disappear into the woodwork. In an effort to ensure that I am getting the support my kids need, it has become apparent that I have opinions and am not afraid to voice them. So, I've been noticed. But, I've also noticed that some people who have served have also left after their term was up. I fear deciding that I don't want to be invovlved once I watch the inner workings. Thankfully, I had the valid excuse that right now I am unable to keep up with all my current demands and I can't take on anything else for fear of everything suffering. They understood, but said they would continue to check back periodically.

This spring I really want to get the house finished. I want it cleaned and organized. I want my body improved. I should be able to get some gym time in with my reduced schedule. I also hope to snow shoe some this winter.

I just want to lose the feeling of my life being out of control that seems to exist. I love everything that I'm doing, I just need to develop more focus and organization.

From Sydney:

1edfiikeddbbbnjgbjhffdiytthhythgyurdfrwefgsvfsgfgfgttt5rrt
frtt7575sbw33egyute2ytw2f6yhyty325ertgdreyuhdsdwfsgyyqyahe
ytdgxhewhhkerhckiucevurfihjg456jfjflkuri3u3fi7ehsydsdyw1u9
e2j98e7ki5khffekuyewrfdasaxvfgtyefdj3dgfagkohgsacjcLBVQTYF
EUDFRYEHVJHJHVCNENEHJJDU9E6E6E4EEEEWWSTRFSDTFVX
VFXVXVTTYRY565FTR5VDBXDVBHGDERVHR4UY54EWDSAHKTY
TEDHFSRD2FGUIE8UY0R473RJ9JEHRGEGEDDEBH8BSWBGWTR
FFGUEFERGFGREGEGFEFEFEDCDTTI7TR3OYTTHU12345YF
GYB,GGUG

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure exactly what you teach and at what level but I know that feeling of the overwhelmingness of grading. I never worked harder in my life than during my teaching days.

I frequently took one assignment and used it for mutliple subjects...for example, they read in social studies so the content was social studies (one grade) but they answered reading comprehension questions which counts as a reading (skill)...that was the ONLY was I was ever going to meet the requirement for the number of assignments per discipline. Also for spelling homework (a daily homework assign.) I would frequently do a complete/incomplete grade...

I feel for you...hang in there!!