Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Life is better

I feel better. I had my temper tantrum, I got some sleep last night, and I emailed someone at the meeting to see what I should have done.

And, it's OK for now, but I know I'm getting out soon.

Tuesday, while I was emailing a friend of mine that I needed to check on the status of the job I applied for, I got a call from the department to set up an interview. So, first thing Friday morning I go in for an interview for a job I want - except it's full time.

So, I've been doing my research to try to piece together views of the new Dean. I also obtained some information that gave me a couple of good info. They are trying to fill the position quickly - they want the person in by Sept 2nd when classes start.

My suit is dry cleaned. I printed an analysis I did on our website. Tomorrow, I'll go through the job description and line up my experience with the expected job duties. I'm also talking with someone from the dept tomorrow to find out what I can about the direction the Dean wants to take the school and the plan for the programs.

I also ended up talking with the person who does recruitment/marketing for the Grad school. I told him that I was interviewing for the job and he was very encouraging. We've been working together a bit on activities for the projects I work on. He also agreed to be a reference and said he was looking forward to working with the person (and I get to market that I already have experience working with this guy!).

I've decided that even though I'm not sure if I want to work full time, I'm putting everything into the job (you never know what might happen) and I'll just wait until I have something to decide before I make any decisions. BUT, I'm having a tough time trying to not get caught up in the excitement. Up here, Director level jobs RARELY open up.

In the "most embarrassing moment of the day" I give you this story. On July 1, we got a new Department Chair. It was someone who I've known more socially and chatted with here and there over the past few years. I was standing in my friend's office and told her about my interview, doing my happy dance. I noticed behind me "DC" in the doorway. He told us that it was OK, happy dances where ok. "S" said she wasn't dancing. "DC" observed that she doth protest too much and I added "and the other one just blushes." He agreed it was a pretty impressive blush.

Then again, "DC" did see me successfully dance with 3 inch heels at a party one night. LOL.

1 comment:

Spikey1 said...

Good luck Friday.