Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Need help relating to middle school aged kids

At our school, we have a summer youth program where high school students from around the state come to learn about various topics. This year, one of the graduate students asked if I would give a talk on sustainability. I'm not really qualified to talk about sustainability in construction, so we ended up talking about how society affects changes.

This weeks group is y0unger - 7th - 9th grade.

SO - I need some examples of cultural changes they have experiences. Good and bad things they understand. How can I present this information in terms they know?

Previously, I've used two ways to convey this during my 45 minutes. One by having the students try to build a structure working together - except they have been assigned what I call a barrier personality. These are people who can make working together as a team hard (such as the person who won't listen to anyone else's ideas but insists that their ideas are the only right way).

The other way is to talk about how things that are good have negative issues and so we, as a society, must decide if the good outweighs the bad. For example, Amazon will make suggestions to us about books we might enjoy based on previous purchases. That can be useful. But, if they sell that information to say, the republican party, the republican party can filter it with all of the other information they compile to predict the individuals voting tendencies (Applebees America).

So, now that I've given you examples of what I've done in the past, I'd love some ideas for what I can do in the future.

No comments: