Friday, September 15, 2006

Freshman!!

Last night, the kids had their "how to use the library" session. It takes about 50 minutes. That left us with about 25 minutes left of class.

Rather than hold a lecture or discussion - I decided to use the time to let the students gather sources for their first papers. Nice of me huh? After all, I'd be in the library and they have extra help as they work towards this first paper.

As you can probably guess - not one stayed.

But, I suspect that I will now be extra tough grading their bibliographies when they are turned in!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Earlier this week, it was announced that Michigan was the first state to introduce a bill to require all 6th grade girls to receive a vaccine that will prevent most cervical cancers.

unfortunately, there are many people who are concerned that if we vaccinate girls in 6th grade, they will become sexually active because they will not have any deterrent.

I realize that 6th grade was chosen as the recommended age as it is rare for a girl to become sexually active before middle school. I do know that in the early 80s, a few of my sister's friends were becoming sexually active in middle school. I also know that when I was in college, my mother constantly lectured my sister and I about the increased risk of cervical cancer with more partners. I pretty well ignored her. I doubt that girls will suddenly become abstinent for fear of cervical cancer.

So, should we avoid protecting our children from a deadly disease because we don't want to admit they might become sexually active before we want them to? Should we risk not being able to vaccinate them at all because we didn't vaccinate early.

Would it be nice if our children waited to become sexually active - sure. But, should we think that they will avoid sex for fear of cancer?

2 comments:

Me said...

If I lived in Michigan I'd be writing and calling and emailing my political leaders to shoot that baby down FAST.

I don't believe in immunizing any more than absolutely neccessary and the vaccinations better be TIME TESTED for years and years before anyone sticks that needle into my child.

Anonymous said...

Vaccines make me nervous. Emotionally, it's very difficult to refuse any of them. Intellectually, I understand basically how they work and benefit both individuals and society... blah blah blah...

But that's some seriously dangerous shit they're messing with. And I worry about relying on a vaccination without knowing its longterm effects and effectiveness. There are quite a few immunizations we received as kids that they thought provided life-long immunity only it turned out they didn't.

Chicken Pox is my current dilemma. Most of us had it as kids, and it was uncomfortable, but then it was over. It's a more serious illness, dangerous even, if you get it as an adult especially if you're pregnant or immunosuppressed for some reason. There is no long-term research on this vaccination. Pretty much they developed the vaccine and popped it on the market and started making people give it to their kids.

BTW, can I just say it's a real pain in the ass to decline a required vaccine in Michigan?