Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Voting

I voted already! Sometimes I really like living where I do because voting doesn't take too long. I remember living in the DC area and standing in line for 2 hours to vote in a presidential election.

I was also proud of myself because while I was in a hurry, I didn't vote straight party. Part of the reason was that there was an incumbent from the other party who I thought was doing a good job. She deserved to keep it. That's not to say that the other candidate might not have done an equal job - but I didn't see any reason to vote her out on party lines.

We are one of the states who is voting for a new Govenor. It's been an interesting battle. Our economy is shaken and unemployment is high. I'm not sure that the Govenor is completely to blame. After all, our legislative branch is dominated by the opposing party. They have almost decided that they would sit back and do minimal work until the Gov. was blamed and voted out of office. It's close to happening - and might if the opposing candidate was more appealing.

But, the truth is that the Gov can't make laws any more than the president. They can suggest, they can veto, but they can't make them. Our legislature hasn't proposed laws to help attract business, they have submitted the budgets, etc. But, the Gov is being blamed.

In my mind, the only way the Gov is completely to blame is if the legislature has been submitting bills that the Gov is vetoing. Then the legislature can claim that they Gov is holding up progress.

But, when the legislature isn't doing anything - then they need to accept some of the blame.

In our case, we can also blame business for the state of our economy and unemployment. Our state is dependent on one industry. It's not the current Gov fault - it's been decades in the making. But, the decisions of these companies has directly impacted their demise.

So, should we be investing in the skills of our students so they are seen as being able to do more types of jobs so we attract more companies, should we try to attract other industries and hope they will find our skill set attractive enough without bringing their own employees without hiring our citizens - I don't know.

I just know that we can't lay the entire blame at the feet of the Gov and if we feel that we need a party change in the Gov. Mansion, we probably need one in the legislature too as they have also failed us.

Join me, and Vote!

No comments: