Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Walking the line of fair and learning

Last night for class - I kicked half of them out. I knew I was going to experience this.

For class, they had to do a reading. It was on library reserve and it was a tough one. To help, my plan was to review the writing in class to help answer questions they had. In order for this to work, they had to read it.

The excuses were pathetic - I had to study for exams, etc. OK, not completely pathetic - I probably need to rethink what we work on the week before Thanksgiving break for next semester - but well, . . .

So, last night I worked with the group who had read the assignment. Thursday, the other half will come in. The entire class will have to do their peer review on the paper due after break, but then those who were kicked out of class Tuesday will have to stay to review the reading.

I tried to think about what would be fair to those who read the assignment vs. those who didn't. When should you continue to teach those unprepared rather than leave them uneducated in a skill they need. When do you give them a second chance?

It's hard. I struggled a bit with just kicking them out and leaving them with nothing vs. giving them the opportunity to learn what they need to know. I finally settled on those who didn't do the assignment could come back to learn what they need - although it will probably take a bit longer than scheduled class time - but they will have to write short paper.

*shakes head* Sometimes I don't like being in charge.

No comments: