Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The dinner two years in the making

Three summers ago, our beloved neighbors moved and we had new neighbors move in. It was the very end of summer, so the new neighbors were only here for about a month before they left for the winter in Florida. I did have just enough time to meet them before they left. Last summer, we just never quite got around to having them down, I just never got the house clean enough. Then, I got pneumonia - so another year without dinner with the neighbors.

This year, I was bound and determined that we would have them for dinner.

Why was it so important? Well, D!husband grew up in this house. His father designed it. I really wanted to learn something about the history of the house.

I was really hoping that we would get along and have something to talk about. I discovered that they are the nicest couple. I really wish we'd done this earlier in the summer. I suspect that when I was stuck on my couch, I would have had alot of fun chatting with D!wife.

They really liked some of the things we've done to the house and learned a bit about it's evolution. Our kitchen is almost unchanged (at least since 1965) - the house was built in 1946. Mr. M. was a lawyer in town and there were 6 kids in the family - I believe 4 boys and 2 girls.D!wife and D!husband dated in high school. What I just learned is that they had been married to other people. When D!wife's husband passed away, she put a notice in the local paper. D!best friend saw the note and called D!husband to tell him that D!wife was now single. D!husband sent a card, they found each other and they have been married now for 10 years.

D!wife very kindly gave us a copy of a DVD of home movies. It has been so fun to see what the house looked like.

Now, do I take a quick nap or get back to work (ok, it's my day off but I'm working - then again I will be exchanging some time off later in the week.

No comments: