Sunday, February 03, 2008

Texas and other adventures

(most of this I meant to post yesterday, but things were a little busy)
Friday night at dinner, Sydney announced that she wanted a haircut tomorrow. DH said we'd get one when we could, I called to see when G had an open appointment. She had one at just the time we needed for our Sat schedule.

So, Syd and I got into the car and on the way, she said she wanted her hair long enough for piggy tails, but didn't need it long enough for a pony. Her next sentence was "I want it like my friend Katie's hair." Katie's hair is pretty short. I mentioned that Katie's hair was too short for piggy tails but she informed me that sometimes Katie wears short piggy tails.

Then she told me that her hair cutter wouldn't know what Katie's hair looked like. I told her that the haicutter would since G also cuts Katie's hair. Syd said "my friend Katie?" and I said "yes, Katie and Miss Amanda."

When we got their, I insisted on Syd showing us a picture of how short she wanted her hair. Yep she wanted it short.

She grinned as soon as she saw her haircut and hasn't stopped since.

She did have me put in piggy tails as soon as we got home.

Then, she rolled around on the floor singing "My haircut is really fun"

Before


After (with piggytails)


In the realm of irony - I called my friend Amanda to tell her that Syd had cut her hair short like Katie and Amanda informed me that Katie has been growing her hair long like Sydney. I think I've read a few stories like this. Gift of the Magi comes to mind.

On Saturday morning, Sarah auditioned for a part for the spring dance show. I don't know if she will get one. There are only a few parts and lots of girls auditioned. But I'm proud of her for trying.

Since we were in Grad school, a few of us (three male, two female) started what is called the Bardin Alert. Typically, the Bardin alert is activated when "Top Gun" or "Days of Thunder" is on, but one of the other ladies and I occasionally would activate the alert for really girly movies just to see reactions.

When the alert was created, it was activated via telephone, but with today's technology, email has been the prefered method. It worked better because B worked in Europe and we didn't want to wake him.

At this point, BG is on the East Coast, we are in the midwest, and B is in Texas. L has dropped out.

So, the other night, at 8:03 we discovered that Top Gun was on so I sent an email to the group. At 8:22 the phone range, it was B. It seems that at 8:04 BG called B - nobody had checked email yet. So, I walked into the office and was chatting with B and DH. I made some comment that BG was in the East, we were midwest, but I didn't know what to call B's location because he wasn't West and he wasn't midwest. I hear two voices say "It's Texas" simultaneously.

I tell you those two sometimes are scarey the way they are of one mind.

I"ve never been one to track "anniversaries." I pretty much know three milestones from my life with DH. I know the day we were married. I know we got engaged in June, but couldn't tell you when. I know our first dutch date was December, the first time he really asked me out was, well Nov but I didn't realize it so not until Jan. And I know the date he first told me he loved me.

Friday night, we were snuggling and I realized it was Febuary 1st. Thirteen years prior, DH told me he loved me for the first time. (and I didn't believe him)

1 comment:

Me said...

Gift of the Magi is what I was thinking of too!!! :)