Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Last night, while I was struggling grading papers for students who didn't follow directions, I had two 10 week old kitties sleeping on my lap. It did make grading more pleasant.

On a more fun note, I stopped by the career fair at school yesterday. I knew that Harley Davidson had a booth at the fair. My first semester, I managed to connect with a person who agreed to do a phone interview with my students. We read the book More than a Motorcycle, about the leadership change at Harley. So, I walked over to the Harley booth and chatted for a minute with the first person I saw. She didn't know anything about the book but suggested I wait and talk to Kevin. When Kevin was done, I walked over to introduce myself. I told him my name and that I taught a freshman class where we discuss the book about Harley. Before I could continue he said "I know." I was shocked. I turns out his daughter started here this fall and his wife noticed that I discussed the book. It turns out he had recently read the book as part of an executive program.

While my first choice was to have someone who was at Harley during the change, I think this guy will do wonders. He has worked at Cummings, GM, and Harley. At Harley he worked at both the Kansas City plant and the Milwaukee plant. They have very different corporate cultures. I think we can have a great conversation comparing the cultures of different organizations. I'm so thrilled.

I need to get back to working on the budget for our proposal.

No comments: