Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mad Men

Tonight, in class, I gave a short lecture/introduction on Corporate Culture. I related this back to organizational culture.

I've never found a great way to have the students apply the terminology to the topic - until this summer. I was at my mom's house hanging out with her after I put the girls to bed. She was watching something on "On Demand." It turns out it was the first episode of "Mad Men," a show on AMC. It was perfect. A 1960's Madison Avenue Advertising agency. Talk about a great corporate culture. Everything was shown - some of it in ways that don't exist in today's corporate environment.

Originally, I was going to turn the show off early and let us talk about it tonight, but I knew there were really good things to come that would make the discussion better.

Unfortunately, I'm a class period behind and we are watching this on Thurs and we don't meet again until Tuesday.

The best part is that one of the students asked me about when the show is on regularly.

It looks like my lesson plan for next week will have to shift some as I need to find a good way to use the assignment they turned in to me and they need HELP.

Tomorrow, we have to go back in to have Sydney's arm reset. The bones shifted and we can't leave them the way they are. I feel so bad for the kid. I also need to finish sewing Sarah's Halloween costume and get ready for the scrap-booking overnight. I may finish part of the skirt tonight, and the rest tomorrow afternoon. I'm just so very tired. I may just go home, go to bed, and get up early tomorrow.

1 comment:

Fantastagirl said...

isn't it great when something clicks for your students?

I feel so bad for Sydney's arm - I hope that she handles the procedure well. OUCH!