Thursday, October 16, 2008

next verse same as the first

Today we took Sydney in for her one week followup after her broken arm last Thurs. Last night, it became VERY obvious that she needed her right arm xrayed as well as checking her left to see how it was healing.

OK, Doc comes back in after the xray, comments about how with it being broken it should have REALLY hurt, not just hurt a little. Merit, I thought of your kids with this one. In fact, in the back of my mind I was thinking - humm, Merit said that if her kids are complaining that it still hurts after a week it's probably broke.

Tomorrow we go back to the hospital to set and cast the right arm.

He's hoping that he will be able to put a fiberglass (note pink) cast from the elbow down rather than the full arm immobilized one on the left arm.

I think he felt bad that he missed it last week (he glanced at the arm but it didn't appear broken.

DH walked up to me tonight and told me that he would tell me that I wasn't a bad mom for not noticing this if I would tell him that he wasn't a bad dad. He also told me that when I mentioned last night that I thought it was broken (Sydney fell on it last night), that he suspected then it was broken but didn't see any reason to take her into the ER last night when we were seeing the ortho today.

He did splint it so it wouldn't further displace before tomorrow's surgery.

I am so not looking forward to trying to find a way to manage a child with two casts. Dr. Danielle - any advice from your end of the hospital?

I also told DH (and he agreed) that I will re-arrange my work hours so Sydney and I are home in the morning and she will only go in for kindergarten, not daycare. This way she won't exhaust herself at school. She is going to be super bored without her friends.

I'm off to walmart to buy some button down shirts and leggins and some new slippers (her others are getting small) for the hospital tomorrow. The doc already was looking at her foot to put the IV in tomorrow morning. I'm going to bet she's like slippers better than shoes tomorrow. I wonder if I can find jammies that will also work with two casts.

Poor thing just cried when I told her that she was going to need not only one cast but two. She was already tired of the first one.

1 comment:

Fantastagirl said...

Oh my! That poor thing, it had to hurt! Sending all kinds a good wishes for surgery tomorrow, and may her time in the cast go very fast!

(ask for the numbing cream to go on the foot before the IV)