Monday, November 19, 2007

A little of everything

Sydney is still sick. Yesterday morning I thought she might be better - but by lunchtime her temp was creeping up.At about 2:30 last night I hear "Mom, did you hear me." From Sydney. I dashed to her room. She quickly asked for a throw-up bucket and some gaterade. I grabbed the throw-up bucket and gave it to Syd and then felt her head. I went to the bathroom and then got her gaterade and the thermometer. Her temp was 104. I got motrin and asked if she wanted to sit with me in the living room. I hate her being so sick.

Her temp was down all morning (it did the same thing yesterday) but it (knock on wood) seems to be holding down today too. If it stays down, I may send her to school for a bit tomorrow while I take care of a few things (then again, the four DVDs we rented today may keep her busy enough so I can get the house clean and she can shop for groceries with me tomorrow.

(later today - she is soooo well. She can't be still at all.)

Yesterday I emailed my two bosses and asked if we should cancel meetings or if I should attend them by phone. My one boss canceled the meeting. I attended the other meeting via phone, with a very impatient Syd wanting to leave for Blockbuster. Thankfully both my co-workers have had kids.

Sarah has been taking ice skating lessons for several years (this is her 4th year) Sydney is on her 2nd year. I took lessons for a bit after I was married. I had recently moved to central Virginia where DH was going to UVa for his grad work and working many late hours. One of my best friends from my high school years (she went to a different school) also lived in town. She has skated for years growing up and had decided to start taking lessons again. She dragged me alone as this town had a great lesson program for adults. I really enjoyed it. So, I skate along with the girls while they have practice time during the block of lessons.

Sarah was really bummed that she didn't earn her Basic 3 patch during the lessons this summer. So, while Sydney is taking her lessons, I've been pretty insistent that she practice with me. In the two weeks we've been doing this, she has really improved with her skills. She has 2 more lessons this session. I've told her that she might not pass this session (she has a better shot than she might have if we didn't practice). I'm not sure how she is on some of her skills, but during about a 5 min practice, she went from a split second hold of her backward one foot glide to holding it a bit. If her other skills are done on the right edges, we just might get her passed this session.
I'm on my 3rd week of skating some. The first night my ankle felt really good the first half-hour, but I could hardly hold myself up while skating with Sydney. I can feel that it is so much stronger now. *wonders if I should take skating lessons the third session* Maybe next year.
Keep my MIL in your thoughts today. She is undergoing a knee replacement. For some reason she thought it might be a good idea to have my family travel to South Dakota to see them for T-day (she'd put us up in a hotel), but I'm not sure that having 2 kids underfoot is great for recovery. She is thinking she will be discharged on thanksgiving morning. My SIL and her husband have traveled out and my BIL and his family live in the next town over (so his family, SIL, niece, nephew) will all be able to visit. The only ones missing are us. Having just recovered from surgery myself, I don't think she will feel too social, no matter how much she wants us there.

Maybe if I get enough around the house or work done I'll read some more of my Outlander book. It hooked me when in the first chapter she was putting the perfume my mother bought me (the first expensive one), L'heure Bleu by Guerlain.

No comments: