Thursday, December 11, 2008

Last night

Tonight is the last night of class. My first semester teaching, I stumbled on a great last week of class activity. The students don't really want to read anything new and I'm a bit burned out too.

So, I realized that I could have the students lead the discussion. They chose topics that relate to the class subject and they introduce the issue and lead the conversation.

It's a great activity on many levels. For them it seems like it's just a fun thing to do. For me, I get to help them realize what it feels like to be in front of the class - trying to convince students to talk - to talk to a class full of students who aren't prepared.

My hope is that my class not only better prepares students to be better employees, but better students over the next few years.

It's about 16 degrees outside - I'm tired - and just a little sad that it's not politically correct to show up to my class tonight drinking a cup of hot chocolate and Baily's.

No comments: