Saturday, January 19, 2008

The gift of life

It was almost two years ago to the day when I first posted about blood donation.

Seeing that January is more than half over, I wanted to post this now. January is an important month in my life. Not only do I get to celebrate my anniversary, but the birth of my two daughters. I also celebrate my "live" anniversary. This was the day I defied the odds and lived. After Syd was born, I had complications that almost cost me my life.

The doctors did a great job of doing what they could, but without the donation of blood products by the community in the months before, I would not be typing this now. At Sydney's first birthday, I organized a blood drive. My plan is to do one drive for each unit of blood products I received. I've started to organize one on two other occasions, but I realized that I'm still too close and I end up fighting depression for a while just by starting the process. So, I've put them on hold for a while.

January is Blood Donation Month. I may not be up to organizing a blood drive, but I will happily encourage others to donate. Join me in helping save the life of others.

http://www.redcross.org/donate/give/

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I gave right before Christmas, so can't give again this month. But I usually get around to it about 4 times a year.

Fantastagirl said...

I used to donate every 6 weeks before I had kids. I had some complications as well and received several units of blood after Pan's ER C-section. The last few times I've tried by iron count was too low. I'm thinking that by March I'll be able to.

It's a tradition in my family - once you turn 18 you donate blood. Other peoples donations have saved my uncle, two of my Aunts, and my Dad.