Friday, January 11, 2008

If this is her logic at almost 5, I'm in trouble.

Sydney will turn 5 on Tuesday. Today, I kept little bug out of preschool today so we could go to our last playgroup. Because of the grants used to fund playgroup, they can only serve children 0-4. Once they turn 5 they have to graduate. When Sarah turned 5 (also in January), she was so upset about losing the ability to see her friends and go to a place we would visit 2-3 times a week they decided to have a graduation ceremony for her. Today was Sydney's turn.

After playgroup, one of my friends (who's daughter also graduated today) and I went out to lunch with the girls.

Sydney decided she was done, yet I was trying to finish talking to C.

I told Syd we were going to head out in a minute. She asked if we could get some purple Gatorade. I told her that I had some blue at home and I'd make her some. She hit a all out tantrum. [a little background here. I get dehydration headaches because I forget to drink during the day. So, to counteract my headaches, I sometimes drink Gatorade. The girls know this].

She kept asking and crying for the purple Gatorade and said that she didn't want anything else to drink. She finally started saying that she needed purple Gatorade to help her headache. When I continued to tell her that I wasn't going to buy purple Gatorade she finally looked at me with tears in her eyes and said:

"Don't you want my headache to go away?"

*shakes head*

I almost caved at that moment because I couldn't believe she would put together that I was denying her medical care by not buying purple Gatorade.

As we walked out of the coffee shop, I reminded her that throwing a tantrum will not get her what she wants. So, she calmed down and stopped crying as we walked toward the car hand in hand. After a few minutes she says "Have I been good enough to get the Gatorade now?"

*le sigh*

2 comments:

Fantastagirl said...

Smart little one isn't she?

Tink is doing similar stuff with food. I starving her because I won't make a separate meal just for her. She can eat what is prepared - it was food she like last week.

Kelly said...

You actually make your gatorade? WOW!

And purple is my favorite too!