Thursday, January 24, 2008

Important lessons!!

We talk alot about fire safety, but occasionally things get forgotten. My dad emailed me some information about the fire in his house. I wanted to share some of them as they are too important to not.

"I have learned three lessons:

Clean the lint out of the dryer vent hose periodically (that was thecause of the fire).

Make sure that your house is up to current smoke detector code: detector in every bedroom, every level (we didn't have one downstairs), and living space; interlinked so if one goes off, all of them soundoff.

If you have two or more computers, check your homeowners policy. Ourpolicy is limited to $3,000 for computer equipment!!! And evidently this is the norm in the industry."

He sent me a link to pictures from the fire. It is truely amazing. The firemen tried to go in to put out the fire, but had to quickly evacuate moments before the roof caved in.

1 comment:

Fantastagirl said...

Also make sure your dryer vent hose has as few bends in it as possible - and it should be metal not plastic.

I didn't know that about the computer equipment... will have to check our policy.