Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The unexpected

Tonight I went to dance for the first time since my surgery this summer. I couldn't wait to come back and tell you all how wonderful it felt to dance and that for the dance show we get to tap dance with canes!!

But, as I walked in the door DH mentioned to me that my one dad called and that he didn't catch everything because the connection was really bad. DH said that "something happened last night, everyone was safe, the insurance would cover everything." I looked at the caller ID and saw that he was at the Aunt's house I was most comfortable with, so I called back to find out what happened.

This is the Dad who was my biological father. There were many years that we only saw him once a year. Once he got married, we saw him a bit, but we never really felt welcome. Once my brother and sister were born, it was more of a "his family/my family" treatment by my dad's second wife. I'm more comfortable with my sister than my brother. My brother is a bit emotional and has a hard time understanding that we don't have this brother/sister relationship based on birth. My sister seems to be more willing to have a "friend" relationship rather than this need to be in extremely close contact whenever we are in town.

Anyway, it seems that my sister's boyfriend was over last night and heard a strange crackling sound in the floor and quickly got everyone out of the house. It had been on fire and now the house is gone. I'm really glad BF was there as I know my brother would never have woken up alone, and I'm not sure about dad. I don't know if the smoke alarms had even gone off yet. I also think that the cold weather had something to do with a water issue for putting out the fire.

So, today they only have they clothes they were wearing when they walked out of the house with last night, but they are safe. Dad is suppose to call me at work tomorrow so I can get more of the story.

2 comments:

Me said...

OMGosh... wow. Wasn't expecting anything like that! Thank God he heard the crackling and got everyone out!!!

Fantastagirl said...

I am so glad that everyone got out safe. Wow is an understatement.