Friday, January 04, 2008

It was meant to be

On Valentine's day, 15 years ago, I stood in a card shop trying to find an appropriate card for my fairly new boyfriend. We had started chatting more regularly after a party in October, started going out dutch in December, I ended a fledging relationship in early Jan and we started dating a bit more regularly. So, there I stood, two weeks after the first time he told me he loved me looking for a card.

I found one that was perfect.

It started "I love you not for who you are, but for who I am when I am with you." I had found this poem years ago and decided that I wanted to give it to the person who was - mine. I only wanted to give it once. A friend of mine was with me and she talked me out of it; she said it was too soon. So I picked two cards that were more appropriate - one romantic, one funny.

We exchanged presents, and DH had bought me two cards, one funny, one the poem I wanted to give him.

I can't find that card, nor the paper I copied it on to. But I remember it often.

So, today we celebrate our 11th Anniversary.


4 comments:

Melanie said...

And I finally got the sister I'd always been wanting. Marrying you was best thing my little brother every did (and then he gave me nieces). Happy anniversary!

Kelly said...

I love that story! I remember the moment I realized I was going to marry Brett. It's like you just know - the "too soon" people be damned! It was our 4th date, we were driving to Magic Mountain, and while we were talking about the things we wanted in life, it hit me and I just knew he was the one I'd spend the rest of my life with!

Happy Anniversary! You make a lovely couple!

Me said...

That brought a smile to my face. It's always hard to know when it's 'too soon' especially when you feel one way but other people (good intending friends) tell you it it's too soon.

I'm laughing through because my best friend actually went with my boyfriend to 'Christmas shop' and she convinced him to get me a pearl 'promise' ring. We had only been dating 3 months! LOL.

But that's ok... I married him. LOL.

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!

Fantastagirl said...

Happy Anniversary!

It's just amazing when you know - even when those around you don't.