Monday, October 09, 2006

Growing season in the midwest

Earlier this summer - end of June maybe - I planted a patio tomato plant, a cherry tomato plant, and a red pepper plant. These were starter plants.

My yard doesn't get a ton of sun, but the back patio does ok.

During the course of the summer, I had 2 patio tomatoes turn red and about 3 cherry tomatoes. The peppers grew flowers, but no fruit.

During Sept, I had about 6 more patio tomatoes grow. They are now in my window so they can turn red. There are now quite a few green cherry tomatoes on the plant. And, I finally have some red peppers growing. So far, we are having a mild fall - in the 60s. But, we have been known to get dusting of snow on Oct 13 and measurable snow by Halloween.

Here is a picture of my yard today. Looks like growing season to me!:


And the leaves changing over the lake at sunrise:



And these are the peppers growing on my plant. Do you think they can beat the snow?

3 comments:

Me said...

I was dealing with the same thing yesterday! My big tomato plant is still producing, my little baby salad tomatoes plant is producing like CRAZY and my peppers and zucchini still are too. It's October for pete's sake!

My body isn't even craving fresh tomatoes anymore... it's moved on to Fall-foods. LOL.

MommyOutOfControl said...

We are starting to get some beautiful fall colors here in New England (still not peak in CT). Hope to get out this weekend to get some good pictures!
Jamie

Spikey1 said...

Hey buddy! Thanks so much for the kind wishes on my bday! Had a really nice day and my golf was a round of golf! LOL. Perfect weather weekend too. We have some really awesome fall colours going up here so come and visit anytime!
Cheers.