Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sunday Six - Apples

First, Happy Birthday to my buddy Spikey
Looks like I'm older than you!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Sunday Six!" is a game where Kelly asks us to have six questions answered. Remember, the idea is to post answers to the following six question, but the trick is to get your kids to answer them! If you don't have kids, use your imagination... Your pet, your neighbor, your elderly family member, your roommate, etc. Did you play? Let me and Kelly know so we can visit you. Today I was able to ask Sarah (SB - age 6) the questions. Sydney (3)wasn't in much of a mood again today.

1. Who was Johnny Appleseed?

SK: I don't want to.

SB: *Shrugs Shoulders*

2. What did he do?

SK: No.

SB: He picked apples. They wrote stories about him.

3. What does his last name (Appleseed) mean?

SK: Uh uh. I don't want to answer any questions from mommy.

SB: It means Apple Seeds.

4. Where did Johnny Appleseed live?

SK: I don't want to tell you.

SB: Under an apple tree?

5. What did Johnny Appleseed like?

SK: I don't want to tell you that either.

SB: Apples.

6. Do you like Apples? If so, how do you like to eat them?

SK: Me too.

SB: Yes!!!! I like to eat the washed and cut up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This week, I had to lay into my students. My class is discussion based. I usually assign readings that we then discuss. So, when we arrived on Thurs, we first talked about the speaker they saw on Monday and then I asked who did the reading on Martin Luther. Most gave me blank looks, one said she couldn't find the web site address in the syllabus (but didn't ask for help), one commented that he learned enough to know that Martin Luther wasn't Martin Luther King Jr.

So, I cancelled class. We are going to talk about this Thurs instead. I told them I was disappointed and I assigned a 2 page writing assignment on the reading. This is in addition to their formal paper which is due Tues (but their rough draft was reviewed on Thurs so it shouldn't be too hard).

Next time they don't have the readings done, it will be an unexcused absence. I'm just not tolerating this.

I guess I need to have some more in class writings. I've had one, you'd think they'd realize that I'm serious about this.

UGH.

3 comments:

MommyOutOfControl said...

Good answers from Sarah, Sydney will be in the mood again eventually! We played too.

I don't know that I could tolerate teaching! You have much more tolerance than I do. Not that my opinion matters, but I think you handled it great!

Jamie

Kelly said...

You are a hard ass teacher! LOL

Wow, did Sydney get bit by the bug Jack had last week? Great answers from Sarah!

Kelly

ps = thanks for reminding me of Spikey's birthday!

KC said...

Ugh about your class. But hey atleast when you asked who did the reading they didn't give you Sydneys answer of "I don't want to tell you" LOL.. love the sunday six.. all my kids were bit by the bug this week so we didn't play.. I guess I should have blogged there 1st answer but I didn't. the 1st one was as far as we got.
Mr Man said I don't know.. to which Princess says "and we don't care either" and Sweet Pea buts in and says "Yeah" and then they all 3 left the room LOL.