Monday, May 08, 2006

When is too much

I love my child playing sports. I think it teaches her a lot about teamwork and winning/losing with grace. Sarah loves playing sports too.

In fact, I like "Girl Power" so much, I bought Sarah these shoes for t-ball and soccer this year.

She doesn't know I ordered them for her, she just knows the nice lady at the store is trying to find them for her.

I signed Sarah up for t-ball thinking it was 1 night a week plus Sat. Nope, they found extra money and were able to expand back to 2 nights plus Sat. Most of the season is played while the kids are still in school. I know it's just t-ball, and she can miss, but it's still hard to do this.

The first night of practice, the coach we were sharing the field with wanted to scrimmage. The coaches knew nothing about the players they had - nor did they know if they could hit, throw or run. My child has never hit a real ball off a real tee with a real bat.

Thankfully, our coach didn't think they would learn the game better by scrimmaging on the first night and instead did primarily batting practice for the hour. I really like their coach. He seems to understand that you first have to let the kids get the batting part out of their system, then start working on the other skills.

I'm not even sure where I'm going with this - but I know that I'm having a hard time with losing 2 nights a week to t-ball. I just think that it's too much to expect of 5 and 6 y.o.'s. I guess I don't see why they need 1 practice and 2 games a week for 6 weeks. Maybe one of my lurkers can explain this to me.

1 comment:

Fabnormal said...

2 games a week? That seems like alot to me for a 5-6 yr old too....but I am long way off from kid sports, so what do I know? :)