Sunday, August 05, 2007

General update on us. part 1

Where to start - I think I'll divide this into two posts. One about the girls, one about me.

I finally convinced the girls to watch my Schoolhouse Rock videos. The girls really like them. I can't believe that when these were first released I was Sarah's age (7). I did have to explain to Sarah what a record machine was.

Soccer season has started. I requested Sarah's soccer coach for this year. The coach she had last year was very good at teaching ball handling skills. Many of the coaches are just parents who have never played (which wouldn't matter much) but the coaching clinic they do seems to be focused more on "don't forget snack" than resources for lesson plans, ways to teach how to get a more powerful kick and aiming your passes at a teammate than just kicking the ball.

During the first three weeks, they are suppose to have practice. Many of the coaches have no idea how to teach, so they just want to scrimmage. Sarah's coach has a rule that when she has practice time, she wants to work with her team they have time to play later. Her teams are always very strong.

Sydney is playing this year too. She is so excited.

Last night Sydney had a nightmare. She dreamed that she was scoring too many goals and they stopped the game and made her stop playing! She's too cute.

Sarah did two weeks of swimming lessons. She started the session floating on her back with a teacher holding her up and using a life jacket to go in the diving pool to doing the back stroke and jumping off the high platform dive (the one that is about 9 feet high). Quite impressive. It was hard for mom to watch her just walk off that board.

No comments: