Thursday, February 16, 2006

Do I really want it?

When I moved here, I thought "Hey, maybe I could teach." My husband is a professor and I have enjoyed what I've done teaching wise so far - mainly hour or two instructional training talks.

A couple of years ago, I happened to contact the Assistant Dean of the Business School. They were looking for someone to teach a section of the class I was most interested in teaching - Organizational Behavior. But, I had no teaching experience. I did stop by to meet the guy, and told him that in two years, I wanted to be teaching for him part time. A bit of bravado I must admit.

Well, I knew that I wasn't going to convince him on my good looks and charm, so I discovered that I could teach a freshmen Composition and Rhetoric class. I just had to create a topic and write a proposal. It was harder to convince the committee than I thought it would be, but I did convince them and I'm teaching the class for the 2nd semester. I've also mentioned to people that I am still interested in teaching for the Business school.

Today, I interviewed for the Dean and Assistant Dean about teaching the Organizational Behavior class for them. I have to pull together a bunch of information and a teaching statement, but may just pull this off.

It was neat to be able to tell the Assistant Dean that I put in place a plan to get a proven record so I could teach for him as I told him I wanted to do several years ago. It was nice to see his expression change from polite to impressed that I was willing to create the experience I needed.

So, next week I turn over my materials, then I have to decide if I want to spend another summer creating lesson plans for a brand new class. YIKERS. At least it's not as intimidating as the first time I did this.

If you've read this, N.O. baked King Cake. There may still be a piece in the coffee room.

1 comment:

Spikey1 said...

Yes you do and you will handle it great! A piece of that cake would go perfect with my coffee now.