Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sometimes you create your own opportunities

Almost three years ago, I decided that I wanted to teach part time for the business school. Employment opportunities in this town are limited, especially if you do not have a PhD or are related to someone by marriage twice removed.

Because I didn't have any teaching experience, it was tougher to convince the university to hire me, even to fill in the classes nobody wants. So, I created a plan. In order to convince the business department to hire me, I need to have the experience of teaching and teaching evaluations.

I needed to find a way to convince someone to let me teach even though I didn't have teaching experience. I proposed the class I'm currently teaching because I knew I could convince the university to let me teach this class. It was not as easy as I thought it would be. Since I was not a faculty member, I had to work 3 times as hard to convince the committee that I was capable of teaching the class I proposed.

The other week, I met with the Dean of the Business School. Her area of expertise matches my interest and I needed some input into a couple of class lectures. I mentioned my 'create an opportunity' plan to her - that I was doing this so I could eventually teach part time for her. I told her I was doing this to get experience so I would have a proven record.

Next week I'm meeting with the Dean and the Assistant Dean at their request. I look forward to learning what they have to say. At this point, I can't leave my current job, so whatever they are proposing has to fit with my current workload.

Wish me luck, I'll update next week.

2 comments:

Spikey1 said...

As we say around here... bon chance!

Kelly said...

Good luck! Its not easy to hear someone evaluate your performance, but knowing you, it will be great!