Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Really - I can be mean.

Being new at this teaching gig has presented several challenges. How do you motivate students to do their assignments? How do you convince them to participate in the class discussion with out you running 75% of the discussion? How do you help them understand that if they don't do the assignment, you have nothing to talk about when we discuss the readings?

Last semester I failed horribly at this. I was always too easy on the kids. I would usually prevent them from having their own conversations when we had a specific topic to discuss, but I never made a big deal about their not reading their assigned reading.

Last night, in class, I ran across this again. I had assigned a reading that was about 90 pages and very tough to read. Most of the class didn't read it. Some started it, but didn't finish. I didn't mind those who didn't finish, they tried. Those who blew it off - not so good.

I gave them some guidance on the subject today, but in the future I think I'll have to be mean about it. After all, I don't have to be their friend, just their teacher.

3 comments:

Spikey1 said...

I thought all my teaches were mean! ;)

Timestep said...

Just to you Spikey! LOL

Kelly said...

LOL How did you know they didn't read it? Could you tell, or did you ask? I always wondered if teachers could figure it out without asking!