Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Fear, hate, and respect

After my experience last week where the students didn't complete, or in some cases even attempt, their reading, I feel I have to do something tonight to ensure they take their reading assignments seriously. Since their reading assignment was fairly short this week, I expect them to fully understand it. But, since the reading was to read a website about the life of Martin Luther, I fear that they will not have adequately.

So, to put the Fear of God in them, so to speak, I'm going to have them answer two question in an in-class writing assignment. Normally I do not grade the informal assignments. They are practice writings and treated as such with a complete/not done type of grade. This writing will be graded - not so much on writing style, but for completeness of answer. I need to get the message to them that not performing the readings has consequences.

I just checked the reading to see if you can answer the questions. They will have to guess some, but it should be answerable.

I hope they don't hate me because I'm mean, but instead respect me because I'm tough.

5 comments:

Spikey1 said...

I have to go the bathroom! ;)

Timestep said...

You can be more original than that - like the guy who blew off class for a "hot date"

Spikey1 said...

My grandmother died?

Kelly said...

So? What happened? You have no love for your students on Valentines Day no less! HA!

Timestep said...

I gave up my hot date! I did bring hershey kisses!

Spike, you get a pass.