Tuesday, February 07, 2006

It's amazing what can be created

What do you do when you have 200 inches of snow fall a year? Why you celebrate it!

Every year, our University has a winter festival. Starting in around 1925ish, building snow statues became part of that celebration.

The first snow statues were pretty low key, but as tools have become better (irons, axes, etc.), they have become quite impressive.

The snow sculpture competition isn't over until later this week, but here is an idea of how things are going on this campus of engineers:

Blocks of snow like this:



And you slowly create something that looks like this:



I'll post my favorite finished products later.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow, those ice blocks are huge! Can't wait to see your favorite - and I can't quite figure out what the bottom photo is...

Timestep said...

Based on the car you can't see, I'm guessing a Fred Flintstone scene. The big thing is obviously a dinasour.

The back wall has dino skeletons.

Sheri said...

awesome! I cant wait to see the finished product!

Spikey1 said...

Looks like my house! ;0)