Sunday, February 19, 2006

My Friday - what a day

Friday, I arrived at my daughter's kindergarten class only 5 minutes late. Unfortunately, I was driving behind someone who insisted on driving 18 mph in a 35 mile zone. It took me 20 minutes door to door for a 7 minute drive. It was very frustrating. But, I digress.

Today was day one of a lecture on the Olympics for Sarah's kindergarten class. For as disorganized as I was, and the fact that her teacher and I only loosely discussed what we would cover, it went well. I came up with a brainstorm while watching the Today show that morning, and opened by teaching the kids

"Hello" Ciao (familiar)
"Goodbye" Ciao, Arrivederci
"Good Night" Buona Notte

Then, we talked about the rings, and how they represent the 5 continents and no one color is dominate over the other (the weaving of the rings so they cross over and under each other).



Sarah's teacher had some flags from other countries and we had the kids tell us what color from their flag was represented in the Olympic rings.

Then, we talked about the events. Sarah's teacher had printed some graphics of the events. Coincidentally, all the pictures showed women performing the events. These were drawings, not real people. One of the boys did notice that all the pictures were girls. I believe the phrase we heard was "I hope this next picture isn't of a girl" LOL. Then, we took a vote for which event each child would be most interested in participating in (one was a broadcaster, which one boy did choose).

The last part of the lecture was for each child to make a mock tiramisu. Some were brave and tried the marscapone cheese, some where not. They all had fun. Two weeks from now we go back to do events and the medal ceremony. I can't wait.

I'm curious to see what will happen on Tuesday in my class. Their first of 3 formal papers were due on Friday. There is a penalty of 5 points for each day late. Of 22 students, 17 turned in their paper. One student has been absent with a family emergency for a month, so I'm not expecting he will be around. The remaining 4 have not contacted me. Should be interesting!

No comments: