Wednesday, April 19, 2006

When they provide proof they didn't listen

(Drat, I was so distracted by last night class that I forgot it's WBW.)

Communication is the hardest part of my job as a teacher. You have 20 kids with different learning styles (maybe I should give a learning style quiz at the beginning of the semester so I can get an idea - I easily could build it into a lesson). Some hear better, some need visual cues. All need to receive the information I am transmitting.

Last night, I received some evidence of how the students receive information. The students are required to submit a reflections statement at the end of the semester. This is required of every student who takes the class (and every student in the university is required to take it). This statement is to "reflect" on the semester - what they learned, what they will take with them in the future, etc. This year, I had the student write the statement anonymously. I thought I would get an answer that was a little more honest. But, I think I will change that policy for next year.

One student decided to write about how I failed him or her. There were two things I did - one was not explaining more about the papers - what type they were, etc. Now, I know for a fact that for the first two papers, I did discuss the type. For the third, it didn't really have a type so I didn't define it. But, somehow the student never received the information.

The other failing was that I canceled class one night. Interestingly, he or she didn't even get the facts right. So, if he or she couldn't get these facts correct, did the student lose credibility for the first failing? The claim was that I canceled the class earlier in the day via email. Actually, it was the day before. The perception was that I couldn't clear the snow (true, DH was gone and I had to figure this out, but I was able to get to other places over the two days) AND that I had decided that picking my DH up from the airport was more important than attending class. He or she felt my DH should have taken a cab home from the airport and I should have attended class. The student also mistakenly identified that the day the snowstorm was on, indicating it was 4 days before class instead of the day before. But, what the student didn't solve for me (and was the actual reason I cancelled class) was who was to watch my 3 y.o. and 6 y.o. as they couldn't stay at home alone and class started 30 minutes before their bedtime. So, I got blasted for having kids and living in a town with limited air service during snow storms. But, if the student had listened during class, he or she might have known that if I cancelled class it was not done lightly.

There were several instances where students did not receive information - or I did not present it. some of these were true. But, I always asked the question "Are there any questions." Most of the time there were none. So, if I don't provide adequate feedback and students don't ask for assistance is it *my* failing? Am I responsible for anticipating every time they don't feel enough information has been provided?

Should I be responsible for not providing enough information or should the students be responsible for ensuring they have their needs meet? Whose failing is this.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I don't think that you should feel responsible for them NOT asking questions. College students have to learn how to ask questions, and if they don't, they FAIL. I have learned this they hard way myself. Don't overly concern yourself with it. If those students really truly wanted it explained, they could have come to you. Having the survey annymous will make the students more honest though... just fyi...

Het said...

Wow - you just described my husband's frustrations with most of his former college age employees. They absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their own issues. They make a mistake on the job - and it's someone else's fault - EVERY time.

I truly believe this comes from the parenting style that is so popular today. Not letting kids do their own work, not letting kids fail. i think it's important that kids not be protected from every perceived injustice. Sometimes there is a place to step in and defend our kids - but man - it's out of hand. Especially for things they got themselves into.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/032006dnmetcheerleaders.49bd03e.html

Above is an example of parents protecting their kids past where I feel it's necessary.

At the college level there is no room to not ask questions. Your failure to understand what is asked of you - is your failure - not the professors.

;) Sorry to rant!

Fantastagirl said...

You teach at the college level?

These kids need to understand one simple rule - the only dumb question is the one left unasked.

Part of me thinks it's because parents these days don't make their children be accountable for anything. I paid for my secondary education - therefore - I paid attention and got good grades.

Tammy said...

Sadly, this isn't a college-aged phenomenon. When I would make an announcement with my teen group, I would tell them, write it down to take home, send an email, often make phone calls AND then, I would send a note directly to their parents with all the information, not to mention always giving them a number AND email addy where I could be reached with questions. After all this, they STILL didn't get/process/understand/hear the information. You have to get to a point where they must take some responsibility. You cannot protect and cater to men and women who want the responsibility of being treated as adults yet are unwilling to do the adult type things that get you there... and that's just my soapbox for today.

You are a good teacher Kristin... don't let one or two get you down... I do know however, hhow that can happen. It's tough...