Friday, March 31, 2006

Mentally and physically spent

This week has been tiring. Between trying to stay awake writing a proposal I knew nothing about and grade papers so my students would have the comment prior to their papers due today, I'm tired.

Then, I've had a few students in my office. One student stopped by to pick up her paper, I wasn't quite done, but I invited her to wait a few minutes so I could finish. While I finished, we chatted. This student isn't comfortable coming and talking to faculty members. One thing I have taken as my role is to aid students in their transition from high school and college. That includes keeping myself available and open to conversations with them.

This student "J" came by to talk to me about an issue related to her paper last week. She admitted that coming over was a big step. So, as we chatted, I inquired about her major. She didn't know this, but I am friends with her advisor and his wife. One day "A" mentioned to me that this student wasn't doing well in most of her classes. I didn't mention this, but wasn't surprised to hear that she wasn't sure she wanted to stay in her major. She liked being outside, so she was thinking about changing to forestry.

I suggested she talk to her advisor to see if there was a way the program at our university could meet her interests. She didn't want to change majors because she wasn't interested in the subject, just the way it's taught here.

I'm hoping she does talk before she changes. I think that she needs a better understanding of why she is leaving and what she is changing to before she jumps ship.

Unfortunately, I start to feel responsible for my students as if they are my own kids. I know I only see them for a few short weeks, but I like to see them succeed. If I can play a role in this, then as tiring as it is to decide the best way to help them, I know they will gain skills to succeed later.

No comments: